Tuesday, March 8, 2011

re-check your gauge!

     When you are working on something that really needs to be a certain size, just doing a 4x4" tension square before you start is not enough!


     Here is what I did last night to start my Italian Ice tank top:
When checking gauge transfer work
to a tiny needle so it will lie flat.
remember: stitches are v's

     I measured by gauge earlier at about 4.2 stitches per inch.  When I sped up and got going, I tightened up to exactly 5 stitches per inch.  It may not sound like a lot, but that's enough to make my garment several inches too small when you consider the front and back, which would really ruin an already close-fitting design.


     Now call me fearful of wasting six inches of colorwork, but I decided that instead of ripping back I am going to add one inch side panels.  Already you can kind of see that I kept two stiches on each side in garter stitch, but it isn't standing out as much as I'd hoped anyway, so a side panel would be just the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment