Sunday, February 19, 2012

On The Needles

After the snowflake sweater I knit on size 15's, I was itching to knit something with teeny tiny stitches. And I don't care how long it takes me!  I had three 470-yard skeins of Malabrigo Lace (100% merino single ply) in the beautiful colorway Applewood purchased a few months ago and I am finally free to work with it as my #1 priority project.  I experimented with needle sizes and settled on a size 4, which gives a light airy look to the fabric while keeping the stitches small enough to not feel like I'm cheating satisfy my lace craving.  At my relatively tight gauge, I get 7.5 stitches to the inch.

Terry, the owner of the LYS where I work, let me borrow a very helpful book called Hand-Knitting Techniques, which was put out by Threads magazine in the early 90s.  It's a collection of focused articles written by various knitting experts.  The article I'm using is about knitting "designer raglans" from the top down.  Basically it talks about breaking from the traditional raglan shape by deciding on your desired ratio between the measurement across the back and the measurement of the sleeve width along the shoulder.  Beginning at the neck of a top-down raglan, you always increase at four points every second row to give the traditional sleeve shape. At any point there is a constant relationship between the two, explained by the formula

Back = Sleeve + D

so you can create a wide sleeve (where D is a smaller value), or a very tight small sleeve (where D is a larger value), and still use the simple top-down raglan technique to knit your sweater.

If I haven't lost you yet, I would like to show my progress on the sweater so far!  I wanted a very wide neck that is as low in the back as it is in the front, so I started by casting on 53 stitches  for each of two sleeves and increasing at the neck edges as well as the regular sleeve points.  Finally I cast on extra stitches at the end of each piece and began to knit in the round to join the two pieces and form the neck opening.  Of course to show the maximum potential of this gorgeous yarn I had to add in some lace.   I chose a sweet rose leaf panel that I believe works well in this colorway.  I guess I am really into sweaters where the front and back are identical - that's what's happening here! (Not unlike this)
One of the four sleeve increase points
Rose Leaf Lace panel.  I got the idea
for this and lots of other lace samples
here. I modified the first repeat
so that there didn't appear to be
the bottom half of two leaves at the neckline.
This is the best view of the whole thing
right now.  It's not easy to look at on the
needles but once I get to the underarm
it should start to look more like
a sweater!

No comments:

Post a Comment