Friday, August 26, 2011

the dip dye-ing process

Yesterday I began the dip dye-ing process for my knitted boho bag.Well, the beets did not exactly produce the color I was looking for - less deep red and more of a stomach acid yellow-grey, I would say. Luckily I did some small test pieces before throwing my final product into the pot.

I was about to give up on the whole "nature" route and spring for some powdered Kool-Aid when I decided to try using a bottle of cranberry juice berry dye.  Actually I will probably try Kool-Aid too another time, but for now I am keeping things natural.  Here are some photos of the process so far!
Step 1: almost all in, except the top of the handle.
I let it simmer for about an hour.

Step 2: lifted out the handle and simmer some more.
I left it in approximately this position overnight
then simmered for another hour this morning.

Step 3: after rinsing the cranberry juice off the bag,
I placed only the bottom portion in some tea,
where it is currently simmering.
I'll probably let it go about an hour.

UPDATE:


Here it is all done.  The cranberry juice barely stained the cotton at all!  I may add some store-bought dye to it later but for now it is a very light pink on top - although I do like the way the tea stain worked on the bottom.  On further research I learned that Kool-Aid works great on wool but does not work on cotton.


No comments:

Post a Comment